Menara KOMTAR l Penang l 232m l 65fl

55K views 206 replies 178 participants last post by  SantiagoBraun 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Menara KOMTAR
Penang, Malaysia

HEIGHT: 232m/760 feet
FLOORS: 65 floors
COMPLETION: 1985
ARCHITECT: Jurubena Bertiga International Sdn.

At the time of its construction, the complex was the largest urban redevelopment project undertaken by the Malaysian Government.

It was designed to meet the growing demand for civic, administrative, commercial, and housing space in the city. KOMTAR also serves as a symbol of order and stability for the town and the province.

Although the goal of the project was to preserve the historic character of the town, its modern form stands in stark contrast to the smaller buildings around it.

The tower itself serves as the government center for the region. Government offices, which were spread throughout the city, were relocated to the tower to provide more effective services.

The four-story KOMTAR podium occupies an eleven hectare site. The circular tower rests upon this podium, one of many elements in the complex. The podium includes shopping, residences, and office spaces, a hawker's center, cinemas, a bus terminal, post office, fire station, conference center, public display area, health clinic, police post, swimming pool, garage, pedestrian mall, and multipurpose hall (enclosed by a glass geodesic dome).

The circular tower is actually a 12-sided geometric block, which rests upon foundations which vary from seven to nine feet in thickness.

It is designed to withstand wind and earthquake loadings equivalent to 4.0 on the Richter scale.

The interior arrangement is expressed on the exterior with concrete bands signifying mechanical floors which divide the building into three zones.

The two penthouse floors are recessed, creating a dark shadow around the top of the building.

The roof supports mechanical equipment and a helipad.

See less See more
Reactions: OmI92
#2 ·
oh, forgot, I give it 8/10

#4 ·
Originally posted by RafflesCity
8/10

Nice and simple design. Makes a big impact on Penang's skyline.
The views from on top must be spectacular.
it has hold the record for 2 decades as the tallest in Penang. Don't know if there will be a competitor.

the view from the top is spectacular! especially looking to the Gurney area

#13 ·
nice pics, Pablo! when did u take those??

#21 ·
Pablo said:
the first pic r shoot from Menara Orintal Bank;)
where is that ?? do u have a pic of that building??

#24 ·
<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Pablo </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>
EON finance u know, near padang polo;)</td></tr>
</table>

that i know but still dunno Menara Oriental Bank

#25 ·
<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by TYW </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top><table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Pablo </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>
EON finance u know, near padang polo;)</td></tr>
</table>

that i know but still dunno Menara Oriental Bank</td></tr>
</table>
in front of 'fuo xue yuan'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.