SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Tallinn between Christmas and New Year - a winter fairytale

7K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  aljuarez 
#1 ·
Just before New Year I visited Tallinn for 2 days - wanted to catch the Christmas spirit in the city. I wasn't disappointed. Tallinn's Old Town in this time felt even more cosy than usually, it was also lively and charming like a real fairy-tale town. I also took some photos of downtown area.

Estonia surprised with it's countryside also - after leaving grey Latvia, Estonia came with clear blue skies and snow on trees...

Poster informs about Tallinn's Christmas market before entering Old Town

And there it is...

Old Town's rooftops together with modern skyline:

To be continued...

See less See more
#5 ·
Next photos.

Don't what's that building but view from it should be fantastic up there.

I like how the Sokos hotel highrise sticks out in the background. That says something about evening in Tallinn's winter tourism season - part of tourists strolling through this main street should be coming/going from/to their rooms there:

Another scenic street view

#6 ·
i wanna go there. I was in Latvia for a week and something in November 2008. Well, I was in a village in the north near Valmiera and the border and it was funny, small, we celebrated their independence there and never experienced something like it. And I got blue sky!
your pics make me wanna go to Talinn. I love those city centres, that pic with the town, carousels, people, market remind me of a lovely UNICEF puzzle I have here and which I did so many times. So peaceful, white, I discovered Xmas markets while studying in Heidelberg (which I advise a lot). Amazing photos, great experience!

I'd like to visit Estonia for the singing festivals.

#10 ·

Not in such scale like in Vilnius, but also Tallinn's commieblocks has placed in the way which creates impression of a large city

What do Talliners think about this controversial modern building in the heart of Old Town?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.