SkyscraperCity Forum banner

BERLIN, August 2012

11K views 55 replies 36 participants last post by  danmartin1985 
#1 ·
Last year in August I made my second trip to Berlin. First time I was there back in 2006 but just for 1 day. This time I spend 3 days there so I get a better understanding of the city and noticed much more of it's characteristics.

Berlin may not be the most beautiful of European large capitals but it is very liveable city - comfort is felt on every step. I will present some examples later with the pics.

If I previously thought that Berlin is mostly commieblocks+modern built-up, then this time I acknowledged how wrong I actually was. There are huge areas of perimetrical quarters which are or at least looks like historically built (pre-WW2).

I will start with some "obligate photos" of well-known symbols of the city and then later dive into more specific places and views.

Part 1: Berlin symbols

Berlin Dome, a place where Berliners :))) and citie's guests comes together and lay down on the grass square

Well, what's there to say... Maybe just the fact that it wasn't possible to get a "clean shot" of this very popular landmark as there as always many people around, even at night

Reichstag seen from vast, dark grass lawn which occupies the area before this historical and the new, nowadays parliament building of Germany (will post later)

My tourist brochure said that Berliners regards this twin church+opera house place to be the most beautiful in the city. Is it really true? It made me think that Berliners may be longing for Parisian-style cityscape and are looking to Paris as a role model for perfect beauty.

Charlottenburg palace - cute and colorful

Museum island with Bode museum and TV tower "growing out of it"

See less See more
#3 ·
I like the clear and panoramic views of the buildings. Very well done. :)

I like the spaciousness and the long, wide streets. Berlin is unique and exciting.

#6 ·
7. Unter Den Linden - Berlin's Champs Elysees, Berlin's Gran Via

Part 2: Modern Berlin

Berlin's one of strongest association in my mind is related to modern architecture

8. Central station - when it was built back in 2006, I remember it was the largest station in Europe by total floor area. Don't know whether it isn't changed by now.

9. Of course, the amazing Sony Center at Potsdamer Platz... It was the place where I saw 3D cinema first time in my life - back in 2006. In Latvia, there was no 3D movies in cinemas back then and it seemed like a big deal.

10. Potsdamer Platz highrises

11. I thought that Galleries Lafayette is only in Paris, but no - it has branch in Berlin too.

12. Humboldt Box - don't ask me what this weird new structure really is, I didn't managed to understand there and have been too lazy to find info about it :)

13. Another interesting weirdo in central area

14. Just a common glass&steel

#13 ·
Nice pictures, some additions by me.

7. Unter Den Linden - Berlin's Champs Elysees, Berlin's Gran Via
This is the "Straße des 17. Juni" seen from east to west. The statue in the front is called "Der Rufer" (lit. The Caller). A replica of Gerhard Marcks statue which stands in Bremen. On the base is written a quotation of the italian poem Francesco Petrarch (1304-1374): "Ich gehe durch die Welt und rufe Friede, Friede, Friede." (Trans. "I walk through the world and shout peace, peace, peace.")
Unter den Linden begins beyond the Brandenburger Tor and goes from Pariser Platz towards Schlossbrücke and Schlossplatz.

12. Humboldt Box - don't ask me what this weird new structure really is, I didn't managed to understand there and have been too lazy to find info about it :)
The Humboldt Box is a temporary building of the "Förderverein Berliner Schloss". It is used as a information point for the reconstruction of the Stadtschloss (city castle) next to it as a "Humboldt Forum". It was damage in war and torn down by the communists in 1950. There is also a restaurant in it. The box will be removed after the Stadtschloss has been finished.

#16 ·
15. Berlin's infrastructure is wonderful, the trains are going through the city everywhere but they are integrated in the urban structure so perfectly that they doesn't disturb neither traffic, nor landscape

17. Berlin's Technicmuseum, we will return there later

18. This is some exhibition hall, apparently.

19. This picture illustrates how modernity lives together with Berlin's efforts to create some historical resemblances in it too, even if it's just street signs and lanterns

#22 ·
Continuing to dive into Berlin's modern architecture fairy-tale...

23. Especially beautiful it gets in evening and at night, when quite many buildings illuminates

25. Future

26. Something different - older?

28. If I'm not mistaken this is the new parliament building? See how they use the concept of transparency.

30. Another futuristic building

31. Back to Potsdamer Platz

#28 ·
28. If I'm not mistaken this is the new parliament building? See how they use the concept of transparency.
This is the "Bundeskanzleramt" (chancellery). The parliament is the old building with the glass cupola.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.