SkyscraperCity Forum banner

VILNIUS - Lithuania's capital perspectives

7K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Nightsky 
#1 · (Edited)
I am drinking tea and eating "Šakotis" (tasty Lithuanian pastry) at this late night hour, ready to start presenting my impressions from my recent, last week's trip to the beautiful capital of Lithuania - Vilnius (as well as summer paradise island Malta).

This was not my first trip to Vilnius, so this time I prepared very well and explored previously what I want to visit. Mostly it was view points from hills and some nature places inside the city, but, of course, we couldn't miss the charming Old Town too.

I traveled by car together with my girlfriend, and we saw almost every viewpoint we planned except Karoliniškes outcrop - left it for another time.

Road network in Vilnius is good - there are many highways which interconnects the city's parts (scattered between the chunks of nature) well. However, it can't be said about the road quality - I was unpleasantly surprised about the bad condition of the asphalt on most of the streets. If roads in Lithuania to Vilnius (especially the superb Paņevežys-Vilnius highway, where one can easily go with 130-140 km/h) provides a relaxed pleasure, then driving in Vilnius asks cautious concentration - not only because of the road quality which is much worse than in Riga (one forumer here said it some months ago but then I couldn't believe it), but also because of... Lithuanian drivers. Some of them really behaves shamelessly. For example, one idiot beeped at me just because I didn't started immediately to move when the signal lights switched from red to orange (not even green yet)... :nuts: And some of them makes just stupid moves - for example, drives out from minor to major road and wonders why others are not giving them way. In overall, drivers culture in Riga seems to be at better level - although 2,5 days may be too less to judge, probably had just bad luck.

OK, enough complaining, now we can start with photos of the city....

1. Gediminas street - a model street in Vilnius, looks as perfect as 5 years ago. I guess, this street is the same for Vilnius like Champs De Elyssees for Paris.

2. One of the easiest reachable view points on the city's skyline lies next to Subačiaus and Maironio street crossing, right besides Old Town. There is also one of few places in center where you can park a car for free - and surprisingly, there is always some free place. A good point to locate your car and then go to explore Old Town.

3. Even from here, the city's new skyline manages to stay in reverential distance from most of it's Old Town spires - and so it does from most of other view points

4. OK, it mixes up a little bit here

8. Much better view opens up from nearby hill on the other side of Subačiaus street. Empty beer bottles and other trash there proves - the place is used by locals to enjoy a view on their city (tourists would probably not imagine to climb up there):

9. Here you see how the main advantage of Vilnius is it's enviable layout - the historical centre in the valley encircled by hills with living districts on them. It's a perfect formula of cosiness, imho.

12. From here is seen Hill of Three Crosses - another great view point, will visit it later.

13. Looks autumnish, but Vilnius charmes also in rainy weather

14. As in any larger city, there is a dark side of it. However, a bit unusal is that you encounter this by entering Old Town on one of tourist landmarks in the city - Gates of Dawn (Aušros Vartai)!

15. Vilnius has opened a rental bike places now. In Riga, similar project "Baltic Bikes" flunked - after some two years, the bikes has gone from the streets this year, apparently it wasn't repaying. Municipality announced a new procurement and noone applied... Interesting, how this business is succeeding in Vilnius?

16. In Vilnius, you can also stumble upon many weird, artistic places - artistic, young, alternative (in a positive manner) atmosphere is one of the things Vilnius is proud for.

To be continued...

See less See more
#3 ·
17. Few more from Subačiau point

23. Such "garden of Eden" appeared while coming back from the hill through less slope pathway

24. Nearby neighbourhood. "Audejas" is similar to Latvian, it apparently means some factory related to textile industry, right? Does it work still?

25. Vilnius with it's hillish topography is maybe not the most grateful city for cycling, however, there is quite many bicyclists. When you go down the hill, of course, it's a pure pleasure, but when you have to cycle up... :eek:hno:

#4 ·

30. Rotušes square - the central square of Vilnius. Nice place to enjoy the evening. Just... whenever I am in Vilnius, they are reconstructing cobblestone around that fountain...

31. Another tourists. Vilnius seemed mostly German tourist-occupied, also Polish language is heard.

32. Old Town itself is cosy hideout with low-floor historical houses, winding streets

33. Next to Old Town (Senamiestis) there is a New town or Naujamiestis. It's offering a bit of typical perimetrical historical city of 19th/20th Century as well + of course, hills!

34. Tauro hill (in Naujamiestis) is another great place to enjoy city's panorama, many locals hang out here. More photos from this spot will follow.

#6 ·
Great photos Vecais.

You are right about driving culture. I had a pleasure after few years to try it myself. I was driving just a bit over 50km/h on a 2x1 lane street when some bloke started beeping and overtaking showing his fist. The speed limit was 50km/h.

I am not surprised about poor road quality either, knowing that Vilnius city municipality is in huge debt. Actually they have already exceeded their debt limit. Vilnius budget is about twice smaller as those of Tallinn or Riga and it's because 60% of potential income goes to country's budged and being spread around the provinces. Situation will change in the upcoming years gradually increasing income from current 40% to 60%. Hopefully that enable city not to payout some dept but also upgrade roads and pavements which are in terrible condition even in some places in oldtown.

#7 · (Edited)
35. Views from Tauro hill

38. Are they going to finish or demolish that eyesore?

40. That's how many Vilnians lives - enjoying the setting sun rays over the city from their highrise apartment windows. But do they appreciate this blessing themselves? :)

42. Lithuania Philharmonia - place where to attend symphonic concerts. Hard to find a good angle of the building, an underground car parking should be built here

#9 ·
^^ There is no best of.... I've found Tallin is the most beautiful, Riga the most kosmopolitan and Vilnius the most relaxed capital. Other cities: Klaipeda has got a great natural setting. Tartu is nice but too small, Narva too gritty but it has a unique castle.

Lovely high quality shots here! :eek:kay:

#12 ·
Wow, Vilnius is the least known of the Baltic capitals, but it certainly is very beautiful. The hilly setting is amazing! It's also very green in summer.
The city might have some financial problems, but I can't see it in the pictures. Everything looks very clean and well-maintained. The reality might be different of course.

#13 ·
44. Some inner yards in Old Town

48. Some views from another view point we accidentaly stumbled upon. It was next to some modern appartment project in Naujamiestis - lovely place to live with such views over Senamiestis.

52. Old Town's streets again

54. Family on bicycles in Naujamiestis

#16 ·
Time to continue as there are many more photos from Vilnius

57. Night skylines

59. New Town

62. Notice dog!

69. And Old Town

#17 ·
76. The already mentioned Pūčkoriu outcrop - a beautiful nature scenery just 10 km from Vilnius centre, inside the city proper! This place is comparable with Sigulda and Gauja river valley, but to reach that place, you have to go 50 km from Riga centre.

83. Those lucky bastards who lives there...

#18 ·

92. Highway next to Pūčkoriu outcrop, leading towards outside Vilnius

93. Here you see how Lithuanians "respect" traffic regulations :lol: But here I'm with them - if the municipality has been dumb enough to not to establish U-turn place at so notorious tourism place, then the people have to make it themselves. Of course, I used it too, in order to go back to central areas of the city...

94. Next sightseeing place. This one offers even wider sceneries overlooking all Vilnius. It's the highest hill in the city, Laimis hill - some 238 metres, if I remember right

95. Laimis hill is completely deserted in the summer - seems it's much more popular in winter when there is a skiing track

96. Only this guy came to rest at the top of the hill...

97. OK, OK - the views themselves!

99. Outskirts of the city, just down below the hill

106. Commieblock ocean!

#20 ·
107. Power plant in far western outskirts

116. Forest massives in eastern part. The "lungs" of the city

121. Some other outskirts, or rather nearby villages, in Eastern/South-Eastern part

122. The hill of dump. Apparently the city's main waste disposal site there

123. Industrial & warehouse areas

124. Airport runway at the background

125. Vilnius airport itself

126. Airplanes happen to fly not too high above Laimis hill, as they are approaching Vilnius airport

#21 ·
129. On the way to Laimis hill, we stumbled upon some other, smaller view point

132. There was a meadow with life vibrating around - bumblebees in flowers, grasshoppers in grass...

133. There are places which looks completely like countryside!

134. Cool modern private house. Wouldn't mind to live in it.

#22 ·
135. Next view point - The Hill Of Three Crosses. It's a popular tourism point on a hill right next to Old Town

146. Here we see the previous view point - Laimis hill

147. Vilnius is the city of churches! These two, although neglected, still very beautiful examples.

148. Interesting what is the place - the hill with those modern apartment buildings (question to Lithuanian forumers)? It seems could be nice view from there towards centre.

150. Gediminas tower which is probably the most popular viewpoint to a city, but I have visited it three times before, so this time I didn't visited it

#23 ·
165. Old Town in rain

170. Nice retro style restaurant (with retro music too!) where we ate tasty cepelinai

171. Also this aquarium was there

174. Close to Three Crosses, there was such a open air stage with unclear purpose (there was drawn exact points, lines - for precisious dancing?)

176. Some skyline fragments between the trees

178. My favorite highrises in Vilnius

179. Birds have their own highrise apartments...

#24 ·
180. Hilly street in New Town

181. Flowers in Old Town, Rotušes square

182. One of commieblock districts, where TV tower located. The famous Lazdynai, if I'm not mistaken?

183. Modern apartments in beautiful place next to Tauro hill

184. Some of Vilnius churches in next few photos

185. Baroque somehow goes very well with evening sun

187. Arkikatedra bazilika, one of main & most tourist-occupied Vilnus churches

190. Another bits and pieces from Old Town:

196. Another beautiful nature's place in Vilnius is the Green lakes - real lakes where the water is in green color due to some mineral presence. As the closest sea beaches to Vilnius inhabitants is in Palanga or Jūrmala (Latvia) which is 300 km away, the green lakes are popular place for Vilnians to relax at waters and swimming. Green lakes are located some 20 km to north-east from Vilnius centre. This is lake Balšiai.

203. There are stairs up the hill next to Balšiai lake and one can take a walk through the forests

204. It's time to finish this thread. Thanks to all who visited, commented and clicked likes. Keep up as I soon will open new threads for another cool cities and great places in Europe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.